RE: replication with Indexes

  • From: Stephen.Lee@xxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 17:20:07 -0500

I suppose I should, for the sake of completeness, say that a replicated
database isn't quite the same as a standby database.  If the primary blows
up, then you will only have data in secondary up to the point that that last
replication cycle ran.  But I figured you already knew that.  If you try to
replicate "too often" (like every ten seconds), you'll probably kill
performance.  You don't want to set the time between replication cycles to
be too long either since the MLOG$ tables can grow which (I think, but not
absolutely positive) slows down replication because your updates scan the
MLOG$ tables up to the high water mark.  If for some reason, you can't
replicate for a while, and your MLOG$ tables get huge, I've had success
rebuilding them online.