RE: how to monitor the progress of inserts

  • From: "Larry Elkins" <elkinsl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 17:30:22 -0600

I've found V$SESSION_LONGOPS to be very useful, especially if you take the
time to watch it while a pig of a query is running you can track how much
time is being spent in each part of a query. For example you might notice a
lot of time is spent in a sort merge phase, or on a full table scan, etc.

I have seen occasional cases where the TOTALWORK column (estimated number of
blocks for example) was off, so the estimate of time remaining was off. This
has primarily been in the case of hash and sort joins, so you end up seeing
the time remaining start going negative as the SOFAR value begins to exceed
to TOTALWORK value. That's frustrating ;-)

But when dealing with large complex queries it can be very helpful in
tracking how much time is being spent in the various operations -- e.g. hash
join, sort output, an fts, combinations of those, etc.

Regards,

Larry G. Elkins
elkinsl@xxxxxxxxx
214.954.1781