Re: how to monitor the progress of inserts

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Oracle-L (E-mail)'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 11:04:35 -0500

Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco wrote:

>Hi in 10g is automatic,

What is?

>In 9i I never tried but enablig monitoring to
>the table, it will update statistics, of deletes and inserts, but
>maybe will need to comit.

Maybe it will?? Of course it will. Oracle obeys ACID properties which
means that unwashed reads are not allowed. Besides, monitoring is used
for something entirely different. If Sonja is inserting a huge batch of
rows into the database, it might be logical to assume that the table
she's inserting rows into will be shown
as used in V$OBJECT_USAGE. That is all that monitoring will show you.

>If it not works you can try a t rigger updating a a temporary table,
>per statement, not per row.

Oh my god! I forgot to filter you out on this address. Mea culpa, mea
culpa, mea maxima culpa.
It will be fixed right away. Juan, why are you trying to dispense advice
when it is quite clear that
you don't have much knowledge? I am neither Cary, Jonathan, Steve nor
Wolfgang, but I do keep
quiet and keep reading when I encounter things that I'm not very
familiar with. I'd advise the same
self-restraint to you.

--
Mladen Gogala