re: RMAN impact

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:59:01 -0700 (PDT)

The "it depends" answer is right on... I've seen
places that had inadiquate resources to run a database
let alone RMAN at the same time. Then there are places
that have much more hardware than they need (oh, if
only every client was this way). Bottom line is it is
very possible for RMAN to run and not have anyone
notice. You can also throttle back RMAN operations
(this is much easier in 10g) so they have less of an
impact on overall performance.

Check out our new 10g RMAN book! It will be out soon!

Robert

--- cosmin ioan <cosmini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> hello again,
>   I don't have any real-world experience with RMAN
> but I'm contending w/ the DBA who says running
> backups through RMAN, **every day**, for 10 hours,
> does not impact  our production performance.
> Never-you-mind that these backups are *full backups*
> ;-)
>
>   so, can anyone tell me what kind of impact RMAN
> usually brings to a system, rather what toll it
> takes on one!  :-)
>
>   thx,
>   Cos

Robert G. Freeman
Portable DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Oracle Replication (Rampant Tech Press)
Mastering Oracle8i (Sybex)
Oracle8 to 8i Upgrade Exam Cram (Coriolis <RIP>)
Oracle 7.3 to 8 Upgrade Exam Cram (Coriolis <RIP>)