Re: Oracle License

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 18:32:26 -0400

Oh, and in 12c, there is cluster agent for MySQL:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-technologies/clusterware/downloads/ogiba-2189738.pdf

Apparently, documentation isn't fully up to date. There is even a framework for building your own agents:

https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/CWADD/crschp.htm#CWADD91277

And yes, Oracle CRS is free, as long as you don't put something like ACFS advanced features or Oracle RDBMS on top of it.

Regards

On 07/20/2016 05:44 PM, Mladen Gogala wrote:

I know that there are even open source projects with PostgreSQL and Oracle CRS:

https://code.google.com/p/postgresql-with-oracle-clusterware-scripts/

I doubt that anyone would bother with that if that wasn't free.

On 07/20/2016 02:25 PM, Andrew Kerber wrote:
I can tell if Mladen is correct from his description, this is from the documentation:

The following components of Oracle Grid Infrastructure can be used free of charge and
without any restrictions in standalone server or cluster configurations:
■ Oracle Automatic Storage Management (Oracle ASM)
■ ASM Dynamic Volumes
■ ASM Cluster File System (ACFS) (excludes ACFS snapshots, and other add-on
features)
■ Oracle Clusterware solely in support of ASM/ADVM/ACFS in a cluster
configuration
■ Oracle Restart solely in support of Oracle Databases and Oracle ASM on a
standalone server

In addition, Oracle Clusterware can be used to protect any application (restarting or
failing over the application in the event of a failure), free of charge, if one or more of
the following conditions are met:
■ The server OS is supported by a valid Oracle Unbreakable Linux support contract.
■ The product to be protected is either:
– Any Oracle product (e.g. Oracle Applications, Siebel, Hyperion, Oracle
Database EE, Oracle Database XE)
– Any third-party product that directly or indirectly stores data in an Oracle
database
■ At least one of the servers in the cluster is licensed for Oracle Database (SE or EE)
A cluster is defined to include all the machines that share the same Oracle Cluster
Registry (OCR) and Voting Disk.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 12:56 PM, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 6:36 AM, Mladen Gogala
    <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Grid control is free.

    .. when used with licensed oracle products.

    Jared Still
    Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist
    Principal Consultant at Pythian
    Pythian Blog http://www.pythian.com/blog/author/still/
    Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com
    Home Page: http://jaredstill.com

--
Andrew W. Kerber

'If at first you dont succeed, dont take up skydiving.'

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

--