Re: Oracle Enterprise Manager and the 4K block size

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ram Srinivasan <srinivasanram2004@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 17:49:54 -0700

Hi Ram, comments inline:

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Ram Srinivasan
<srinivasanram2004@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Jared:
>    However, the OEM has advanced so much, that even a person without deeper
> knowledge about the tablespaces datafiles, redo logs, etc., can go to OEM,
> click on those buttons, and get the job done.  I use both command line and
> OEM.

I guess I just see OEM as the antithesis of understanding.

It's a tool that I'm sure has it's uses.
I've tried to use it, and it seemed a waste for time for the database.

For Oracle apps I have found it useful, but that is probably because
I never became steeped enough in Apps to be as proficient as I
would like doing things at a lower level.  Oracle Apps has been
only strictly small part of my job.

Were someone to have DBA duties as only a part of their job,
it would certainly make sense to depend on OEM.  Someone
that is making DBA work their career should however understand
how things work as much as possible.

> But the OEM is going to be the future, I was told.  So, even those command

line buffs must start learning the OEM grid control, grid agents, etc.

Yes, I have been told that as well.

If the environment supports it, GC could be a good thing.
It does require someone knowledgeable with lower level
DBA work to install and keep it working, or so I have
been told.

>   Jared:  Thanks for sharing that story.

You're welcome, it was an interesting demonstration.

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com