RE: Oracle Enterprise Manager and the 4K block size

  • From: "DOBSON L." <lisa.dobson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>, "Dunbar, Norman \(Capgemini\)" <norman.dunbar.capgemini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 14:50:40 +0100

Niall,

> I'm also expecting to end up raising some SRs about clearing Alerts
when the underlying problem has gone away

Yep, that one is irritating me too. Haven't yet raised an SR for it.

Norman,

I'm using 11g databases on RHEL5 with 11gEM Database Control. We haven't
gone down the Grid Control route.

I use a mix of EM and command line as some things I like in EM and other
things I just find quicker to do via sqlplus. I also tend to make more
use of EM in my development environments than in production.

Some gotchas that I've come across:

1)     Management pack access is enabled by default. If you're not
licensed then make sure you disable it otherwise it is just too tempting
to click on the pretty graphs (or is that just me?)

2)     I have development servers with more than one database on them.
You can configure EM for each of them using a different port *however*
you can only actually log into one at a time as they use the same
cookie. Workaround I got from Oracle Support was to open one in IE and
the other in Firefox - it should be corrected in a later release J

3)     11g specific but password expiry is now set by default. You get a
nice prompt screen at login to change passwords that are about to
expire. DON'T change the SYSMAN or DBSNMP passwords without referring to
the relevant notes on metalink, otherwise it will be painful.

4)     I use OMF, added a datafile to a tablespace using EM and actually
ended up with a file named <default>.dbf. Still no idea how I managed to
do that.

Some stuff is quite nifty, so if you are playing around with a VM at
home then give it a whirl!

Lisa.