Re: Oracle DB performance tuning training

  • From: Ryan January <rjanuary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 13:27:10 -0500

I'd be in complete agreement here.

I noticed the same from the Oracle class (which is why I never bothered). It
does seem very focused on using OEM to look at pretty pictures. It sounds like
their class does a good job at covering tools; but performance isn't a tool,
it's a methodology.

The hotsos class is well thought out. Covers the how's and the why's, in
addition to bringing in tools and math to prove it.
Cary's 10046 tracing class was an eye opening experience. It changed the way I
looked at most issues. (Gathering your data to treat an ailing business
process, not becoming laser focused on making a given sql statement quicker.)
It packs a lot of technical detail and business know how in a very tight
package.
Both are highly recommended from my perspective.

Two other items I'll throw out there: Over the years I've learned an equal
amount over a beverage in the bar at the hotsos symposium. There's nothing
like getting out amongst interested peers. If you have a free week at the
beginning of March, it's a good place to be.
Speaking of conferences, many will post presentations after the fact. It's
strange to think about it, but Youtube is providing a world class experience
for a very low cost.

On Aug 20, 2015, at 12:50 PM, Rob Lockard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm going to second Chirs on this. Anything by Cary Millsap or Hotsos is
worth every nickle. -Rob

On 8/20/2015 12:42 PM, Chris Taylor wrote:
If you want to get into Performance Tuning, I'd recommend Cary Millsap and
Method R, or Hotsos. Oracle would be my 3rd choice because they're not
going to get that in depth and if I remember correctly, the Oracle class
tends to focus on OEM/Grid Control and it's capabilities and how to use it
to performance tune. (Doing it through OEM is good for some things but Cary
and/or Hotsos teaches you more about the fundamentals - the "why" and the
"how").

http://method-r.com/faq/35-what-is-method-r
<http://method-r.com/faq/35-what-is-method-r>
http://www.hotsos.com/dba3.html <http://www.hotsos.com/dba3.html>

HTH,
Chris

--
"You can't hardware yourself out of a problem you softwared yourself into."