Re: Oracle DB performance tuning training

  • From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dkenlwork@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 11:42:01 -0500

If you want to get into Performance Tuning, I'd recommend Cary Millsap and
Method R, or Hotsos. Oracle would be my 3rd choice because they're not
going to get that in depth and if I remember correctly, the Oracle class
tends to focus on OEM/Grid Control and it's capabilities and how to use it
to performance tune. (Doing it through OEM is good for some things but
Cary and/or Hotsos teaches you more about the fundamentals - the "why" and
the "how").

http://method-r.com/faq/35-what-is-method-r
http://www.hotsos.com/dba3.html

HTH,
Chris

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 11:35 AM, D Kennel <dkenlwork@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Has anyone taken the performance tuning class from Oracle University and
would you recommend it? I’ve tried reading manuals and books, and
typically end up with more questions than answers, so am hoping that being
able to ask questions in a class would be helpful. I took a class from
Learning Tree on this and didn’t feel like it was taught at a very in-depth
level, so didn’t benefit from it much. Am hoping that a class taught by
Oracle University would be more beneficial, but would be interested in
hearing from people who actually took it what they thought about it?

Deborah