Re: Oracle DB performance tuning training

  • From: Stefan Koehler <contact@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: sethmiller.sm@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 20:32:42 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I teach the Oracle University classes and yes, much of the material is
focused on the tools (with a heavy focus on Enterprise Manager and Sql
Developer) developed by Oracle. Unless your job consists only of performance
tuning and you have lots of spare time to do everything manually, using
the tools for as much as possible is a good and necessary thing.

Sorry, but i totally disagree in this point. I regularly see how these fency
tools are used in the field and how the data is interpreted in relation
to the performance issue. It is not a question of doing things manually or the
tools itself. It is a question of the methodology and understanding
(the source of) the data in relation to the issue.

This is one of the main reasons for me to suggest the class by Method-R, Cary
Millsap. Afterwards you know what performance is about and how to
collect, process and interpret the performance data correctly.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher
Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: @OracleSK

Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm@xxxxxxxxx> hat am 21. August 2015 um 19:55
geschrieben:

Deborah,

Oracle Database Performance Tuning is a large topic and only so much can be
covered in a 2-5 day course. What you want to learn and how deep you
want to go will have a large influence on the course you will want to take.

Many of us on this list are instructors and we all have different ways of
teaching the material with varying levels of experience. In my opinion,
your instructor will have the biggest influence on the volume and value of
the information you retain.

I teach the Oracle University classes and yes, much of the material is
focused on the tools (with a heavy focus on Enterprise Manager and Sql
Developer) developed by Oracle. Unless your job consists only of performance
tuning and you have lots of spare time to do everything manually, using
the tools for as much as possible is a good and necessary thing.

When I teach classes, I try to engage the students as much as possible and
adapt the material to their environment and how they learn best. Not all
instructors are able or willing to do this so it is very advantageous for you
to know who your instructor will be, the knowledge and experience
level of that instructor, and the previous experience of students that have
taken classes taught by that instructor.

Seth Miller