Re: Oracle DB performance tuning training

  • From: Stefan Koehler <contact@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: raza siddiqui <raza.siddiqui@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 23:29:54 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Raza,
please don't get me wrong. I am not claiming to type long hand commands or to
do a lot of manual analysis just to satisify some ego or to prove
anything. It does not matter, if you use Enterprise Manager, SQL Developer,
TVD$XTAT, Snapper, SQLd360 or whatever.

at the end of the day, your time actually belongs to the organization paying
for your time. They'd rather have you complete the task expeditiously

I totally agree with you and in course of this it is important to focus on the
business needs. You need to gather properly scoped diagnostic data and
execute the tasks with the greatest net pay off to the business. But this is
all about methodology and not primarily about tools. If you just get
trained on how to interpret an Enterprise Manager graph in case of CPU, I/O
consumption or whatever, you probably gonna fail with this task,
especially as some (possible) important components are not accounted as
database time at all, but may hurt the end users the most.

There is a business reason why tools are created. Unless you want to work for
yourself..your choice is what serves your employers interests first
and foremost.

Absolutely and i do not claim not to use tools, but it makes no sense just to
train these tools. My field experience (with clients using Enterprise
Manager for example) shows that a lot of work time is just spent to reduce CPU
time or wait event <X> without even knowing how much time is spent on
each component for the whole business process. Does it make sense to reduce
just a few secs of CPU time for a SQL (because Enterprise Manager shows
high CPU usage for this SQL), if most/all of the end user response time is
spent in the application layer or in inter-communication between app and
database / app implementation? I hope you would agree with me that it makes no
sense, even if some graphs show high CPU bars ;-)

Funnily this is the same discussion and persuading that i have to do with
clients who just get trained on some tools, but in the end the properly
gathered and scoped diagnostic data are convincing :-)

Finally all i wanted to say is the following:

1) Train methodology and understanding of performance
2) Train the prober tools for point 1

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher
Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: @OracleSK

raza siddiqui <raza.siddiqui@xxxxxxxxxx> hat am 21. August 2015 um 21:16
geschrieben:

Though we don't want to get into a shouting match, but I'd prefer to frame
the situation as follows:

if you have access to an electric and manual drill / screwdriver etc, which
one are you going to pickup and use ?

Yes - there is a valid argument for understanding what is being done and
why, but at the end of the day, your time actually belongs to the
organization paying for your time. They'd rather have you complete the task
expeditiously, than satisfying your ego because you typed the command
longhand, rather have a tool generate it for you.

Another key example.

You need to recover your crashed database. RMAN will require minimum of 3
commands - and it'll get it done right, whereas figuring-out indvidual
commands, and correct sequence to issue them...well you can explain the mess
to your boss.

There is a business reason why tools are created. Unless you want to work
for yourself..your choice is what serves your employers interests first
and foremost.

My $0.02