Re: Oracle 8i on Windows 2003

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stant_98@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:32:50 +0000

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:02:29 -0800 (PST), Alex <stant_98@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jared,
>
> Just a thought is 8i supported on Windows 2003? Do you a have a lab box you
> can install it on? I'd suggest doing that first.

No it isn't. But then 8i isn't supported at all from about 2 weeks
time so who really cares.

I've seen a number of posts in c.d.o.s with problems on win2k3 and
some replies along the lines of well it worked for me so you must be
stupid :( . 817 definitely does work on XP workstation which is a
similar, but not identical, codebase to win2003 server.

I'd probably choose win2k, just because I know it works *and* there is
a large similar installed base out there. My hunch is that win2k3
would *work* but might be more unusual.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

p.s. actually I'd probably test 9.2 and the 9i client, figuring I have
more leverage over the app supplier than Oracle Corp, but that's just
me.