RE: OT: Twelve good reasons NOT to attend the NoCOUG conference tomorrow

  • From: "Freeman CTR Donald" <donald.freeman.ctr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <yparesh@xxxxxxxxx>, <iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 10:00:59 -0400

" In Toronto, from where I am, lots of my good DBA friends have changed careers
or graduated to managerial role where career path is progressive. The only left
behind are those who can't switch roles or who love technology for the sake of
technology. I would like to hear more what others have to say."
It's fairly normal to graduate to a managerial role if you are successful as a
DBA.  I chose to devolve from a managerial role back to a technical role.  I
had a successful but unsatisfying career as a manager but after finishing an
interesting 17 month "out-of-band" non-manager/non-dba contract decided to dive
back into Oracle instead of putting the noose (neck-tie) back on. I like
technical problems. They keep the mind nimble.  And, as a development DBA I'm
not on call either.  No longer a big fan of air-travel I'm not likely to attend
anything I can't drive to.