RE: How to generate a lot of load on an Oracle database?

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jheinrich@xxxxxxxx>, <HELMUT.DAIMINGER@xxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Henry Poras" <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:34:40 -0700

In case anyone else wants to use ORION on Windows, I finally figured out how to
get it to work.  Apparently you have to specify an actual Oracle datafile, not
just a directory or empty text file.  I put
"C:\oracle\oradata\orcl\example01.dbf" in my mytest.lun file, and then ORION
worked, giving me the following command-line output:

C:\Program Files\Oracle\Orion>orion -run simple -testname mytest -num_disks 1
ORION: ORacle IO Numbers -- Version 10.2.0.1.0
Test will take approximately 9 minutes
Larger caches may take longer

And the following results in mytest_summary.txt:

ORION VERSION 10.2.0.1.0

Commandline:
-run simple -testname mytest -num_disks 1

This maps to this test:
Test: mytest
Small IO size: 8 KB
Large IO size: 1024 KB
IO Types: Small Random IOs, Large Random IOs
Simulated Array Type: CONCAT
Write: 0%
Cache Size: Not Entered
Duration for each Data Point: 60 seconds
Small Columns:,      0
Large Columns:,      0,      1,      2
Total Data Points: 8

Name: C:\oracle\oradata\orcl\example01.dbf Size: 157294592
1 FILEs found.

Maximum Large MBPS=9.01 @ Small=0 and Large=2
Maximum Small IOPS=52 @ Small=2 and Large=0
Minimum Small Latency=20.45 @ Small=1 and Large=0