Re: Grid Control - opinions please

  • From: LeRoy Kemnitz <lkemnitz@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 15:31:43 -0500

I use the GC. I run it on Linux. Once installed it was fine. I attempted to get the install to run on Unix first. Bad idea. Oracle support kept finding more patches to code to get me to the next error. I gave up and tried on Linux. First try, it went right on with no errors.

The interface is a little clumsy to me. Since it is web based now, things have been moved around. A few things I still haven't found on it. Such as, a list of current users logged into the system. I can find the Top Sessions link but it only lists the background processes of oracle and not the users. I have to go to Top Sql to get to the users logged in.

I am employed at a University and we have a site license for Oracle. This covers it all.

Jared Still wrote:

Hmmm...

Two hours and no responses.

GC does not appear to be in wide use.

On 4/5/06, *Jared Still* <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Well, is that subject a loaded question, or what?

    Background: I have never used OEM.

    Well, I have actually, but only long enough to try it and discard it
    because I didn't like it too much.

    I've been told that GC is completely re-written and a much
    better product than OEM.  What I want to find out is if there
    is some community concensus to back up that claims.

    Let's assume none of the add-on packs ($$$$) will be used,
    and RAC is not involved.

    What does GC bring to the table that is worthwhile in your opinion?

    I was also told that GC could be used to (easily?) download and
    apply Critical Patch Updates.  Maybe not quite automated, but
    simplified at least.  Has anyone experienced that?

    It was also stated that this beast would require 8Gig of RAM,
    which seems rather excessive.

    TIA,

-- Jared Still

-- Jared Still Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist

-