Re: Grid Control - opinions please

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: danielwfink@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 19:57:16 -0600

I can only second Dan's impressions and expressions. All the way from not being an OEM expert over liking 9i OEM for day-to-day operation support ( saves remembering or looking up syntax ) to the total dismay of GC.

At 04:50 PM 4/5/2006, Daniel Fink wrote:

I've used OEM on and off since 7.2, though not enough to qualify as an 'expert' (or even mid).

The version of OEM in 9 I found to be pretty good. The basic functions for administration are pretty good. It has been very handy when putting together tasks to clean up databases. I recently worked with one client who used it extensively for most of the routine dba work (their dba was spread pretty thin and the Oracle db was low priority). In working with jobs and alerts, the functionality was decent, but the documentation was geared more toward a java programmer than a good ol' command line dba (that is my excuse and I am sticking to it).

So...why blather on about OEM when the question is about GC...because I have not found GC to be better than OEM for even the basic functions. The first installation for my personal playdatabase on WinXP was less than stellar. Perhaps I had grown too familiar to the OEM interface, but I found it more difficult to find the basic task areas. On Win2k, it caused the boot time to increase and would often throw errors, so I removed 10g completely and reinstalled without GC. Much better.

GC version 1 took away alot of custom reporting. It is supposed to be added back in v2, but that version is not available for all platforms (last I checked). We have also had a lot of minor problems getting it to work properly on HP.

All in all...I had become a fan of OEM for most day to day stuff I would do for operations support. I'm not impressed with GC.

Daniel Fink

Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation