Grid Control - opinions please

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 10:43:52 -0700

Well, is that subject a loaded question, or what?

Background: I have never used OEM.

Well, I have actually, but only long enough to try it and discard it
because I didn't like it too much.

I've been told that GC is completely re-written and a much
better product than OEM.  What I want to find out is if there
is some community concensus to back up that claims.

Let's assume none of the add-on packs ($$$$) will be used,
and RAC is not involved.

What does GC bring to the table that is worthwhile in your opinion?

I was also told that GC could be used to (easily?) download and
apply Critical Patch Updates.  Maybe not quite automated, but
simplified at least.  Has anyone experienced that?

It was also stated that this beast would require 8Gig of RAM,
which seems rather excessive.

TIA,

--
Jared Still