Re: FRA

  • From: Marcin Przepiorowski <pioro1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jwilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:25:01 +0000

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 1:34 AM, Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Friday, December 11, 2009, Roger Xu <wellmetus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> with RMAN retention policy and "delete obsolete", I think one can easily
>> manage and delete old archivelogs and backups without FRA. Am I correct?
>
> A retention policy based delete must be scripted into backup jobs, and
> deletes everything older than the retention policy with total
> prejudice. With the FRA, it does not delete anything unless it needs
> to free space. That means you stand a good chance of having more days
> on hand of both backups and logs in case you need them. With a
> retention policy you may delete backups older than the retention
> policy despite there being plenty of space to keep more days.
>
> I just think the FRA approach gives you a better chance of being able
> to deal with a broader set of recovery scenarios.

Hi,

As I understand you have a lot of space for your FRA - in that case
there is no issue with space and
I can agree that FRA is a good solution. But keep in mind that if your
FRA is relative small (for example 1 backup plus 1 day of archive log)
if something wrong happen to your backup and cleanup jobs you can hung
database due to lack of space for archive logs.

regards,
Marcin Przepiorowski
you will have no space