FRA

  • From: "Hostetter, Jay M" <JHostetter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 10:31:07 -0500

I'm bringing myself up-to-date on the use of the Flash Recovery Area.
We have a lot of databases on 9i where we were not using FRA.  I'm
experimenting with FRA in 11g to become more comfortable with it.  We
use RMAN to backup to disk, then our tape backup comes along and picks
up the backup files.  I understand the timing risk here.  We have been
using this method for several years with no problem.  I am trying to
determine if I should use FRA as the default location for my RMAN
backups or if I should continue sending my RMAN backups to a disk
location outside of the FRA.  So far in my testing I have not run into
any problems with sending my backups to a location outside of the FRA.
I'm afraid that if I use FRA for my backups, I'll reach the
db_recovery_file_dest_size faster and end up causing problems,
especially if my archivelogs are going there as well.  I have read that
I can backup the FRA to a disk location, but I haven't tried it.  So my
question is - do most DBAs (who aren't using RMAN to go directly to
tape) send their backups to the FRA or to another disk location?
Perhaps the broader question should be, do most DBAs use the FRA for
their standard Oracle implementations, or do they take it on a
case-by-case basis for each individual database?

Going back through the archives and other forums, I gather that there
are a variety of opinions on FRA.  I'm tempted to stick with what is
tried and true and just not bother with FRA, unless I'd have a strong
need to be able to flashback a database.  In our environment it would be
hard to set most of our databases back to a previous point-in-time,
since most of our systems are so tightly integrated.  Flashing back one
database would cause data integrity issues in others.

Thank you,

Jay Hostetter