Re: FRA

  • From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Roger Xu <wellmetus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:34:27 -1000

On Friday, December 11, 2009, Roger Xu <wellmetus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> with RMAN retention policy and "delete obsolete", I think one can easily
> manage and delete old archivelogs and backups without FRA. Am I correct?

A retention policy based delete must be scripted into backup jobs, and
deletes everything older than the retention policy with total
prejudice. With the FRA, it does not delete anything unless it needs
to free space. That means you stand a good chance of having more days
on hand of both backups and logs in case you need them. With a
retention policy you may delete backups older than the retention
policy despite there being plenty of space to keep more days.

I just think the FRA approach gives you a better chance of being able
to deal with a broader set of recovery scenarios.

Hope this helps,

Jeremiah Wilton
Blue Gecko, Inc.
http://www.bluegecko.net