Re: DB Links

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mladen.gogala@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:35:54 -0700

Hi Mladen,

Certain hints can be quite useful for certain applications.

The DRIVING_SITE hint would be one of those, along with
ALL_ROWS, FIRST_ROWS and others that are used to give
the optimizer a clue as to what type of response time is
needed from the query.

These are much less likely to cause future problems than
hints that give precise directions, such as USE_HASH,
USE_NL, INDEX etc.

Even those can be useful though when you have a performance
problem that needs an immediate solution.

The hint may not be the long term solution, but if it gets results
now, allowing time to correct the real problem, I don't see anything
wrong with that.

Jared