DB Links

  • From: Kevin Lange <klange@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:44:14 -0500

Does anyone happen to have a reasonable explaination on what happens to a
query when you try to access tables accross db_links ??  Does it still use
the indexes on the remote machine ??  Does it bring all the data locally
into temp tables ??

Any info will do.  Book names .... Actual explainations ... directions to
web sites ...   Anything.

We have a procedure, a fairly complex procedure, that takes about 13 hours
to run when it is ran against tables that exist accross a DB link.  But,
when we copy all the tables locally, it runs in about an hour.  We would
like to try and find a way to fix this.  But first, I need to know exactly
what is happening when the cursor access those linked tables.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin