RE: DB Links

  • From: "Gogala, Mladen" <Mladen.Gogala@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'adar76@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <adar76@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'adar76@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <adar76@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:46:30 -0400

I strongly dislike hints and I use them only when necessary.
The problem with joins over the database link is that in situations
like FROM EMP@LINK WHERE EMPNO = 1234, the whole EMP table will
be brought over to the local site, stored in the temporary tablespace,
much to the delight of users who want to do some sorting, and filtered
locally, even in case that EMPNO is the primary key. How is it
possible to filter remotely? Very simple, create a remote view, and
access the view instead of the tables. I find that method to be much more
portable and version independent then hints. Did I mention that I
strongly dislike hints?

--
Mladen Gogala
A & E TV Network