RE: Cloning Oracle versus Installing from OUI

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:06:36 -0700

 >>>When companies come to us for database automation,
>>>provisioning automation is one of the biggest requests,
>>>because organizations are tired of the back-and-forth
>>>between systems and DBA teams, not to
>>>mention the complexities of standardizing the provisioning
>>>process.   In

BTW, operationally, this is exactly why a lot of sophisticated,
large shops are abstaining from ASM due to the black-box it
poses to storage admins. Yes, I know the storage admins ***could***
connect to a server where there is an instance running and
get their environment set and run asmcmd to see space used,
but storage admins provision space and connectivity to many
varying applications and the very thought of connecting to
an application (if it is up) to get space available information
is just bizarre to many.  Monitoring application space availability
the way it has been done for decades seems to be a habit hard
to shake. The filesystem is running low, add space to the
underlying volume and let the filesystem grow. Quick peek,
quick action, standardized action/reaction for all apps. Makes
sense. Life is an unending series of choices.