Sorta OT - Business Objects and Listener Load Balancing

  • From: "Mark Strickland" <strickland.mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:08:55 -0700

Any Business Objects sites out there?  Last Friday evening, we
modified the tnsnames.ora on the BO windows server to access all three
of our RAC instances rather than one.  BO report jobs started
intermittently running twice.   The tnsnames alias is (identifying
info disguised):

PROD =
 (DESCRIPTION =
   (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = xxx.xxx.xx.10)(PORT = 1522))
   (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = xxx.xxx.xx.11)(PORT = 1522))
   (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = xxx.xxx.xx.12)(PORT = 1522))
   (LOAD_BALANCE = yes)
   (CONNECT_DATA =
     (SERVER = DEDICATED)
     (SERVICE_NAME = prod.mycompany.com)
     (FAILOVER_MODE =
       (TYPE = SELECT)
       (METHOD = BASIC)
       (RETRIES = 180)
       (DELAY = 5)
     )
   )
 )

Yesterday, we reverted back to accessing a single instance and all is well. I've pored over the BO trace files and haven't spotted a method to the madness. Only thing I can think of is that maybe BO links the database IP or SID with the report job and when it contacts the database again to check up on the job, it comes in on a different instance from where the job is running and doesn't find the job running where it expects. Any ideas?

Regards,
Mark Strickland