RE: Anyone Running Oracle on VMWare?

  • From: "Storey, Robert \(DCSO\)" <RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:36:07 -0500

In my discussions with Oracle and reps on licensing, it matters not how
many instances of oracle you are running on the physical box. So, I
interpret this in that if you are running a native instance, or 5 guest
hosts each with its own instance, then you're running oracle on that
box. Oracle cares not that you are running multiple instances, as I read
it.

So, the minute you install oracle on that box, whether it be in a guest
host, or a native install, you license oracle for the physical hardware.
So, on a Dell 710, if you're running dual processer, quad cores, for a
total of 8 cores, that's 4 CPU of license, whether you load one or 10
instances on that box.

Now, that's non-virtual world setup. I've not read-up on how OracleVM
licenses.  Now, I'm not VM smart. So, out of your 5 host cluster, if
oracle "could"reside on any of those physical hosts at any time, then
you have to license all 5.  I think someone referred to the point that
you could do up to 10 days a year on a non-licensed box to handle
failovers and such.

So, I'm betting donuts that Oracle would argue that if you're
x-instances move around those physical hosts in that cluster fairly
regularly, and not just in a emergency, then you would be asked to
license all 5 boxes.

So, to me, if your 3 guests hosts are always on one box, then I read
that's as licensing that host. However, if your instances will reside
for longer than 10 days on any of the other boxes, then that box must be
licenses as well.

I license my production box, and my dataguard box, because I may need to
move to it at any time for undetermined periods of time.

Good discussion.

From: D'Hooge Freek [mailto:Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx]

I did some research a while ago about this topic and what I heared from
Oracle is that you need to license the minimum between the number of
virtual guests and the number of physical servers in the cluster.

attachments hereto. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do
not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions,
conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to
the official business of this company shall be understood as neither
given nor endorsed by it.