RE: Anyone Running Oracle on VMWare?

  • From: "Crisler, Jon" <Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, <srcdco@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:32:04 -0400

We have lots of Oracle systems running on VMware- maybe as many as 500
vmware guests.  Just a couple of points:

1)      Performance can be variable- depends on the load of the other
guests, and vmware itself has significant overhead.  We discourage
putting production databases on vmware due to this issue.  It can be
difficult to tune Oracle on vmware due to the effect of other guests.

2)      Test / dev machines work great on vmware.

3)      We never put RAC on VMware.  It can be made to work, but if the
customer has the money for RAC licenses, then they probably want the
best performance possible and can spring the money for native machines.