Re: ASM - hardware mirroring vs. Oracle mirroring

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:11:20 -0700

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Baumgartel, Paul <
paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I understand that many people use ASM in conjunction with Symmetrix, etc.,
> but I don't see how just pooling the storage and presenting it to the
> database is worth the effort (and the limitations, as there are certain
> operations in, e.g., RMAN, that aren't supported with ASM).

RMAN does work with ASM.

As for the practicality of ASM, I am currently not planning to use it.
(You never know, I could change my mind in the future)

We are moving to NetApp storage, and I also don't see the advantage of ASM.
NetApp pretty much covers any expandibility (new drives, etc) features that
ASM
might have.

My mantra has been pretty much to keep our Oracle environment as simple as
possible
without making any serious compromise.

My employer has 1 DBA - me.  I have much more confidence in being out of
office when
the landscape is not unnecessarily complex.

--
Jared Still