RE: ASM - hardware mirroring vs. Oracle mirroring

  • From: "Baumgartel, Paul" <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:53:54 -0400

Agreed.  ASM's main purpose is to provide striping and mirroring, is it
not?  If you already are using a storage subsystem that performs those
tasks, what is the added benefit of ASM?  Does that benefit exceed the
drawbacks?  And, to Jared's point, doesn't it seem inevitable that use
of ASM will shift storage responsibility from storage and/or system
admins to the DBA?  I have enough to do without taking that on.

Paul Baumgartel
CREDIT SUISSE
Information Technology
Prime Services Databases Americas
One Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10010
USA
Phone 212.538.1143
paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.credit-suisse.com

________________________________

        From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jared Still

        Is it just me, or does ASM unnecessarily complicate operations?

        Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this
message or attachments hereto. Please advise immediately if you or your
employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind.
relate to the official business of this company shall be understood as
neither given nor endorsed by it.

--
Jared Still

disclaimer: