RE: 10g show stoppers

  • From: "Rognes, Sten" <Sten.Rognes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 12:37:30 -0700

>> ASM can handle file systems?
>> Or is the ASM using raw and knows to keep track of the archlog
>> nomenclature internally
>> and place the logs where it may but make them appear as cooked?

My understanding is that ASM doesn't handle file systems, but provides an
integrated FS and VM for the database files. The term "ASM files" used for
database files managed by ASM and you can use it for all types of database
files including online redo logs, archive logs, temp files, SPFILEs, RMAN
files, and Data Pump dumps. ASM split files into pieces called extents and
places these onto disks at a position called an Allocation Unit. You can
view the extent map using x$kffxp and x$kfdat.

I've done some testing of ASM on RHEL3 and it's fairly easy to get up and
running using the docs and a couple of notes from Metalink. Not used it
enough to make a statement about it's stability and usability. I had one
incident where 4 of my 6 disks disappeared from ASM after a reboot. Don't
know if that was caused by ASM, my hardware of myself not having configured
the system properly.

Sten