Re: 10g show stoppers

  • From: "Ron Rogers" <RROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 15:53:50 -0400

Tanle,
 Thanks for the info. That is the method I thought ASM used when you
said that ASM could handle the archlogs.
I don't have ASM installed on my play box yet. If I remember correctly
ASM is a separate install and is started
seperately from the Oracle instance then they talk to each other.
Thanks again,
Ron

>>> tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx 07/01/2004 3:05:54 PM >>>
ASM is using raw devices. It's not possible to (simply) extract
datafiles
nor archivelogs from an ASM managed device, but Oracle knows the
internal
format of the it and knows where the blocks of its "files" are stored
on the
device.

You can use RMAN to back up archivelogs and datafiles from an ASM
device, no
OS copying is allowed.

I personally do like ASM and haven't seen any showstopper-bugs, but
I've not
implemented a large RAC+ASM in production yet, only few two node ones
on
linux servers (I don't trust OCFS, I have seen too much trouble with
it).

Tanel.