RE: 10g show stoppers

  • From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 02:21:29 +1000

> ASM is part of the database kernel - if you want you can run the ASM
> instance and the DB instance using ASM from the same software home. Still=

> I'd think most would want to maintain separate software homes for ASM and=

> databases.

Forgive my obtuseness (it is after all 2 am and I haven't had my first coff=
ee yet), but why would you want to do this?  All I can see this causing is =
additional overhead in terms of two sets of software to maintain, install a=
nd so on.  I can't see a single benefit to this.
 =

Pete
 =

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook
 =

"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA