[optimal] Re: DICOM and Ultrasound Machines

  • From: CPMC Ophthalmic Diagnostic Center <cpmceyelab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 08:15:05 -0800

Dear fellow Ultrasonographers

With the credentials of ROUB and CDOS under my belt I believe I can speak with
some authority regarding the various ophthalmic ultrasound manufacturers.

I would hesitate to make a statement that "Ellex is the US of choice".   Just
as with fundus imaging systems, there are many variables- functionality,
portability, service, DICOM, network capabilities, and price.

There are currently FIVE viable vendors for ophthalmic Ultrasonography
instrumentation.  I can say truthfully I have used them all, and currently
utilize Accutome, Quantel and Ellex in my diagnostic Center.   The reason for
so many is varied, again, the parallels to our fundus imaging can be made.  The
right tool for the right task.

Why do I not ALSO have a Sonomed?  The reasons are simple, at the time of
purchase, the other vendors suited my needs.  This is not to say that I would
not also confidently recommend Sonomed in a given situation.

I also utilize the IOL Master and the Haag Streit Lenstar for Biometry.  Again,
the right instrument for a specific task.

So, lets us keep an open mind and as we respect our ophthalmic imaging vendors
let us also give our Ultrasonography brethren the opportunity to convince us on
their merits as to which device works best in a given practice.

Respectfully,
Denice

Denice Barsness, CRA, COMT, ROUB, CDOS, FOPS
Ophthalmic Diagnostic Center
CPMC Department of Ophthalmology
2100 Webster Street Suite 212
San Francisco CA 94115
(415) 600-3937   FAX (415) 600-6563

From:        "Cullen, Alexis" <smithcra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        11/29/2012 07:33 AM
Sent by:        optimal-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
________________________________

Hi Everyone!

Thanks Peter!
I probably should give a little more information : )
The ultrasound needs to have UBM and Standardized A-scan for tissue sensitivity.

I've looked up units online, but I've found that sales reps haven't given me
accurate information about how seamless their "DICOM" feature is.  When we
first bought Ellex's EyeCubed machine we were told by our rep it was DICOM
compatible and seamlessly integrated into Symphony (without needing to manually
enter in patient data) . . . that turned out to be inaccurate.   Their new
upgrade is supposed to have this feature . . . for $3,000.
I'm hopeful that I can get a few reviews via the community here so that I have
other options : )

Thanks!

Alexis

From: <Breit>, Peter <BreitP@xxxxxxxx<mailto:BreitP@xxxxxxxx>>
Date: Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:20 AM
To: "optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

Check out Accutome. Their B-scan is essentially a laptop with a probe attached.
You believe can send the file as pictures or movie. And the price is right too.
http://www.accutome.com/product/b-scan-plus

Thank you
Peter

Peter L. Breit, CRA.
Director Ophthalmic Services
The Lankenau Hospital & Bryn Mawr Hospital
484-476-3338
484-476-8206 fax
484-437-3262 mobile
page 3707