[optacon-l] Re: Hooray For The Optacon

  • From: "David Plumlee" <knobman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 20:35:32 -0600

There is a way which SOMETIMES works:  I have found that ON THE BRAND WE
GET, you can feel a slight "notch" very near the "point" end (positive
terminal) on a AA or AAA battery on RECHARGEABLE batteries.  By contrast,
this "notch" is near the "flat bottom" end (negative terminal) on a
dry-cell.  But note carefully that this distinction might not be valid on
all brands of batteries.  The best advice I can offer is this:  When you get
new batteries, and at the time when you KNOW what type they are, examine
them carefully for the characteristic I mentioned above.  Another point I
keep carefully in mind regarding battery safety:  If you use different kinds
of batteries - some rechargeable, some not - keep them isolated according to
their type and/or use.  I even have two chargers around, and I charge the
batteries for one device in one location and the batteries for another
device or two in another location.  If I am using dry-cells in one device,
then I keep my supply of dry-cells in a certain place separate from
rechargeables; so I know where to get replacements for them when I need
them.

Incidentally, for what it is worth, rechargeable batteries are not always
the best choice for battery-operated devices.  For example, a device such as
a TV remote which is used only briefly - to send a few signals per day to a
TV or other entertainment device is probably better served with alkaline
dry-cells.  I use dry-cells in my battery-operated clocks, since in most
cases, they will last nearly a year; rechargeable batteries will
"self-discharge" over time so that your operating time between charges could
be shorter than that length of time.  Another point worth noting here is
that many of the rechargeable cells will have either a lower output voltage
or less "ampere-hour" capacity than an alkaline cell of the same class.  But
rechargeables are quite appropriate when they will have heavy usage at a
moderate or significant current draw.

In conclusion, I will say that a little thought on the usage of the device
to be battery-powered can often go a long way toward economy and reliable
operation.  Having said that, I'd better get back "on topic".  I doubt that
you can read much on a battery, especially AA and AAA cells, with the
Optacon owing to the curvature of the cell; but you might be able to read
something on the PACKAGE of a set of new cells.