[opendtv] Re: Why aren't there more converter boxes?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:56:25 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> Is it only new models that need digital tuners or all newly
> manufactured stuff including newly produced units of old models?

Here it is, Tom:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-190A1.pdf

Excerpts:

---------------------------------
II. BACKGROUND

3. The Commission adopted the DTV tuner requirement in the Second Report
and Order and Second Memorandum Opinion and Order (DTV Review Second
Report and Order) in the DTV review proceeding. In that action, the
Commission, inter alia, adopted rules requiring that all new TV
broadcast receivers that are shipped in interstate commerce or imported
into the United States, for sale or resale to the public, be capable of
receiving the signals of DTV broadcast stations over-the-air no later
than July 1, 2007.

[ ... ]

18. Decision. Consistent with the need to promote a rapid and orderly
end to the DTV transition, we continue to believe it is desirable and
appropriate to advance the date by which all new television receiving
equipment must include the capability to receive over-the-air broadcast
DTV signals. The rules already require that all new large screen
receivers and 50 percent of a responsible party's midsize receivers
include digital reception capability and we recently advanced the date
by which all mid-size receivers must include that capability by four
months, to March 1, 2006.

[ ... ]

19. [ ... ] After carefully examining the record herein, we conclude
that the action which most appropriately balances our concerns on both
sides of this matter is to advance the date by which new 13-24"
television sets and other TV receiver devices must include the
capability to receive broadcast digital television signals to March 1,
2007, in accordance with the alternative approach suggested by CEA/CERC
and several of the consumer electronics manufacturers participating in
this proceeding.

If you remember the CEA/CERC arguments, some manufacturers had suggested
that it would be possible to move the 1 July 2007 date back some, to
March 1, but not for all of their products. And the FCC quickly agreed
to the advanced date ... for all products.

I guess we know that so far, Pioneer and Samsung, at least, will
(finally) make DVD recorders with ATSC receivers available. If these
include QAM tuners and CableCard, they should also be of use to cable
subscribers.