[opendtv] Re: Why aren't there more converter boxes?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:36:56 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

>> Your case MIGHT be more believable, if not for the fact
>> that in the UK, cable networks and broadcasters are
>> PAYING for the right to deliver their programming via
>> Freeview, which does not charge a dime in subscriber
>> fees.
>
> That Craig is a non sequitur. The UK Freeview system
> utilizes the national TV transmission system constructed
> over the years, mostly at taxpayer expense

And, Freeview doesn't have any other source of income, same as Rai Way.
I'm not sure why Craig keeps repeating that comment. Making the money
flow on a different path is not necessarily an improvement.

> Now, if the government wants to construct such a utility
> using potential revenue from it's taking of additional
> spectrum, that might actually work.

I have my doubts there too, because that one-time windfall may only pay
for the acquisition cost. Not for recurring lifecycle costs. And you
would end up with a new middleman.

One good outcome, though, would be that you'd have a single cohesive
entity interested in making the OTA solution attractive as a whole. To
me, that is the ONLY advantage of a spectrum utility.