[opendtv] Re: Why aren't there more converter boxes?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:41:36 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> I would say there is a general lack of digital-to-analog
> converter technology generally available in ANY market.

That's why I had suggested that the NAB get out there and market some
STBs by itself. In spite of the uncohesive nature of OTA broadcasting,
surely broadcasters could come together on that goal, at least, I
thought?

But they passed it off to the NTIA, who quickly turned it into a
consumer education and coupon management program.

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/otiahome/dtv/DTV_synopsis2.html

Aren't there four new Pioneer DVDRs with ATSC tuners? Also check this
out: Samsung ATSC DVD recorders due this year.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/ontheroadatces/ig/CES-2007---Photo-Galle
ry/Samsung-DVD-Recorder-w--ATSC.htm

Maybe, in spite of all the conspiracy theories we've been dreaming up,
the 1 March 2007 date graciously mandated by the FCC will jolt CE
companies out of the doldrums.

I'm convinced that were it not for the FCC, we wouldn't have OTA TV
anymore after analog shutoff.