[opendtv] Re: Why aren't there more converter boxes?

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 02:53:11 -0800

I can answer the question for DVD recorders. There will
be "tunerless" models, that just have composite and
S-Video inputs (and analog audio). More advanced models
could have 1394 input from cable boxes, although there
are DRM issues with that (I think only the DVD-RAM
format allows copy-once).

Ron

Tom Barry wrote:

It will be interesting to see what new models of VCR's and other TV recorders are sold after March 1. It's hard to believe these categories will just disappear from the market. But they have to start having ATSC tuners in them, and most likely would then also tune QAM if they have any sense.

How long can they continue selling existing models? Is it only new models that need digital tuners or all newly manufactured stuff including newly produced units of old models? I can't remember.

- Tom