[opendtv] Re: ATSC 2.0, ATSC-H, ATSC-M

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:27:58 -0800

I can accept MovieBeam and podcasting as precedents, even though the former
isn't digital, and it sounds to me that it's more of a pre-loaded hard-drive
than a download service, and the content has NOTHING to do with the TV
station provisioning the service.

In the back of my fetid mind, for months, I had been hearing about radio
podcasts and thinking "delivering those via the web is okay, but why not via
digital transmitters?"

Then, through ATSC channels, I heard last month of the formation of the NRT
group.  Wow, I thought, I'm not the only one wondering "why not?"  I suspect
that DVB will get around to offering some non-real-time service
functionality as well, although there are few "local tv stations" in
DVB-land.

As to my tag lines, I'm still experimenting with them and will probably
write them on the fly.

I'm not quite ready to say that EtherGuide Emissary is as reliable as it
should be, but I haven't seen anything at my first customer's station
www.kyes.com that makes me question the claim.  Right now, we're trying to
find the source of CRC-32 and continuity_counter issues that don't seem to
be "my fault."

My web site is only about 9 days old and is not ready for prime-time.  I
have published most specifications for EtherGuide ATSC
www.etherguidesystems.com/systems/EmissaryATSC/DataSheet.aspx.  I should
point out that it's not just a mere PSIP generator, but it does PSIP
(terrestrial, cable and satellite) reliably.

What is sad to me is the high price and low performance over time that
broadcasters have experienced with PSIP generators.  I don't plan to do much
about the price, :-) but I've spent more than 6 years addressing the
performance/reliability issues again and again and again.

For those who are happy with their PSIP generators and how the vendors
address issues, I can only say "You're Welcome!"

John Willkie
EtherGuide Systems

Schedule publishing for today's digital video and tomorrow's data
broadcasting www.EtherGuideSystems.com