[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 01:11:27 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>Bob Miller wrote:
>

>>Bert says, "When reasonably priced and good recording
>>devices with integrated ATSC receivers become
>>available,"
>>
>>When? Why not now?
>>

>Don't ask me, I ain't the CE guy.
>
>I am baffled by the implication, yours and others, that
>somehow DVB-T would change this state of affairs.

Because you refuse to even consider that we may have a point.

>ATSC is perfectly capable of being applied to such
>recording devices, at prices that are competitive with
>DVB-T. The question of why such products are finding it
>so difficult to get to store shelves.

Ask LG. They must have an answer for why they are selling COFDM
receivers in OZ where they must pay royalties while claiming that they
can't sell 8-VSB receivers in the US where they have a free ride or a
competitive advantage. ALL manufacturers are NOT interested in 8-VSB
while a LARGE number of manufacturers are interested in all things DVB-T
or COFDM.

And you are baffled but will give no credence to the ONE glaring
difference which is the RF modulation. All you have to do is ask almost
any one of these manufacturers. They have figured it out.

You give no credence to someone who wanted to do something similar to
what is successfully being done in the UK here in the US but didn't
because of the MODULATION. Only now after six years we are putting our
pinky in the water because of LG's 5th gen receiver "prototype" which
still after a YEAR we cannot get ANY information on. We can't get a
manufacturer to be interested in making an STB. Hisense was the last one
and they have lost all interest AFAIK. Maybe this latest infusion of
cash into USDTV will have them making receivers again.

We really want to do something. We have for a long time. Why if 8-VSB
was as good in anyway as DVB-T wouldn't we or others have proceeded?
USDTV is the only one and they are struggling.

>With the tuner mandate/agreement, you'd think such
>products would be a slam dunk, wouldn't you?

No I wouldn't. With COFDM it is a slam dunk, with 8-VSB it is a no go.
At least so far.

> If I were
>a conspiracy theorist, I'd guess the reason they aren't
>making it to store shelves quickly is that CE vendors
>make more money by building only proprietary boxes for
>individual service providers. And the service providers
>prefer it that way as well.
>
>And that the American consumer is willing to be led
>around by the nose by umbillical service providers more
>than their Euro and Aussie counterparts are.

OZ is not doing that well though still a factor of five times better
than the US. Europe is. OZ has higher cost receivers and the HDTV
mandate which precludes them doing what is being done in the UK. They
are talking about allowing multicasting. The US public is not being
offered what the public in Europe is being offered. If they were you
would not be talking about them being controlled by cable and satellite,
you would be talking about the imminent death of cable and satellite.

>What do you want me to say? I don't know why these boxes
>haven't been on store shelves for the past two years,
>but I know it has nothing to do with RF modulation
>schemes.
>
>Bert

And I know it has had everything to do with the RF modulation chosen, so
far. And even if with better receivers 8-VSB is doable it is not nearly
as exciting a proposition as what would already be if COFDM had been
allowed.

Bob Miller