[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: "Tony Neece" <tonyneece@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:35:23 -0700

Pretty much on point Craig.  What most cable companies will do to serve
their analog customers is purchase transcoders to down-convert the OTA
digital to analog at their head-end.

Still, there will be a lot of analog second sets, even in homes with =
cable,
that are not connected to the cable for one reason or another.  Keep in =
mind
the San Jose PBS station that lost 34% of their audience when they
voluntarily dropped their analog signal.  This happened even tho they =
did
their own surveys with 80% of the respondents stating they had cable.

I also have a problem with people being forced to pay for cable for =
service
they could get OTA if the CEA people would get serious about providing
economically priced STBs.  If the cable companies do provide the local
channels free of charge, That would be moot. =20

But, and here is a big but!  Even for Standard Definition TV, =
transmitted
via digital gives a great improvement in picture and sound quality.   =
For 7
years now, broadcasters have been providing this superior service to the
public for free, (at great cost to themselves) but it has been largely
wasted due to the high price for STB's

Tony