[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 23:02:48 -0700

At 5:35 PM -0700 10/24/05, Tony Neece wrote:
>Still, there will be a lot of analog second sets, even in homes with =
>cable,
>that are not connected to the cable for one reason or another.

IF this is true, it is by choice, not because it is difficult to
connect these sets to cable. IF NTSC broadcasts end, and cable still
delivers analog programming it will be a trivial matter to connect
legacy sets to cable if it is already comiing into the home.

>Keep in =
>mind
>the San Jose PBS station that lost 34% of their audience when they
>voluntarily dropped their analog signal.  This happened even tho they =
>did
>their own surveys with 80% of the respondents stating they had cable.

An interesting observation, but it is not clear what is really
happening here. It sounds like 66% of their audience is cable
subscribers and the rest were relying on antennas; maybe the other
14% who have cable really were not part of their core audience.

>I also have a problem with people being forced to pay for cable for =
>service
>they could get OTA if the CEA people would get serious about providing
>economically priced STBs.  If the cable companies do provide the local
>channels free of charge, That would be moot. =20

Why is it the responsibility of receiver manufacturers to provide a
product that consumers have shown no interest in? The vast majority
of consumers have no reason to own such a box.

>But, and here is a big but!  Even for Standard Definition TV, =
>transmitted
>via digital gives a great improvement in picture and sound quality.   =
>For 7
>years now, broadcasters have been providing this superior service to the
>public for free, (at great cost to themselves) but it has been largely
>wasted due to the high price for STB's

I would humbly submit that even if these boxes cost only $99, there
would still be little interest in them.  The only maker is those
people who still use antennas, and they are generally happy with
NTSC.  Most of us do not use antennas and will never have the need
for an ATSC receiver.