[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:38:37 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Why is it the responsibility of receiver manufacturers
> to provide a product that consumers have shown no
> interest in?

Just because consumers are forced to buy or rent the
interface box provided by a TV service provider does not
mean that they do this happily. The fact that the
majority of cable customers still stick with the analog
tier cable, specifically to be able to avoid the STB,
should show you what's really going on here.

The desire for zillions of channels, or for premium
channels, makes it worth the nonsense of dealing with
unnecessary interface boxes. It's a price some people
may be willing to pay. It doesn't mean they want to go
this way as opposed to a better way, or that this is
good for the consumer.

With recording devices, the integral tuner is practically
mandatory. The question you should be asking is whether
this recrding device, with integral tuner, should be
available on regular store shelves, or whether specific
non-standard models should be dictated by each service
provider.

Next thing you know, ISPs will be mandating their own
protocol stack, and we'll be told we should all be
grateful.