[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:57:41 -0400

At 1:06 PM -0400 10/27/05, Bob Miller wrote:

>Maybe the term "broadcasting" used in broadcasting circles has taken on
>a specific meaning understood by those who speak "broadcasting". Many of
>us don't yet.

Come on Bob...

We all understand what John means...

Only those with an FCC license to broadcast in the radio and/or
television bands are broadcasters. Everyone else is merely a
pretender...

I just spoke about the future of DTV at the Community Broadcaster's
Association conference in Las Vegas. These folks have FCC licenses
for Class A and LPTV channels, but they are second and third class
citizens at best. They do not get any cable carriage rights. In rare
cases they can negotiate carriage if they have some unique
programming. They are being forced to use the ATSC standard despite
the fact they they could used DVB-T to field a FTA broadcast service
that  could actually compete with cable.

Broadcasters enjoy a special place in Washington, because they are
the only service that get's virtually 100% clearance into every home
in the U.S. Never mind that 85% of these homes do not receive their
broadcasts, but rather, they pay extra to get these channels
delivered by a service that competes with REAL broadcasters...

And they lavish millions each year upon the politicians that they
help keep in power. So next year when you attend the National
Association of Broadcasters Convention, just remember, that you, and
all of the exhibitors that have absolutely nothing to do with
"broadcasting," are filling the NAB war chest with cash so that REAL
broadcasters can continue to make obscene profit margins, and force
competitors (i.e. subscribers) to pay for something they may never
use, just like the ATSC receivers we are being forced by the FCC to
buy, whether we want them or not.