[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: "Stephen Gadsby" <Stephen.Gadsby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:42:33 -0400

> Bert wrote:
>=20
> How do you know they do this "specifically to be able to=20
> avoid the STB"? I suspect the majority of them do so on the=20
> basis of costs vs. benefits. The digital tier is an extra=20
> monthly charge on top of extended (analog) basic, AND there=20
> are monthly charges for each STB. Sure, you get extra=20
> channels, and there is a potential if not actual quality=20
> difference between digital & analog, but there ARE extra costs.=20

While I can't speak for anyone else, I can't stand set top boxes. I have
basic, analogue cable because there's no way I'm paying the cable
company a monthly fee for the privilege of being stuck with an annoying
box. To my mind, that's like paying someone to punch me in the head.

To me, CableCARD (particularly v2.0) sounds like an improvement, but I'm
not happy that I'd have to rent the card. I'd prefer a cable modem style
solution, where I can buy the model I want from a range of vendors, and
then just provide a number to the cable company for activation.

But then, I'm no expert. I just lurk here with a hope of gaining some
knowledge.

   -stephen