[opendtv] Re: Wha' Happened to the FCC?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 08:41:21 -0500

At 10:15 AM -0800 3/2/10, Dale Kelly wrote:
Craig opines that Radio is the best media for emergency information. This info is but a small though very critical part of what local TV provides. My experience over many years in local broadcasting, is that viewers go directly to TV for emergency info and reporting and the use radio as a very reliable and important back up source.

My experience is that many people are passive observers of emergency situations that may be taking place in their region and that TV does a good job of informing the curious. Hurricanes are an occasional threat in our region and the TV stations do a very credible job of monitoring their potential course and much of the resulting damage.

Having been through a number of very powerful hurricanes in the '60s and again a few years ago here in Gainesville, I can tell you that TV falls on its face when the going gets rough. Power outages are a significant issue, both for reception, and for transmission. Many stations go down during these events. We were without power for days after each major storm in the 60s, and for a week after Frances blew through Gainesville in 2004. What is more important, however, is that our local radio stations - and one pair in particular - did a spectacular job of keeping us informed, while the TV stations were preoccupied with occasional reports of damage - i.e. sensationalism. The Radio station went to 24/7 coverage for an entire week, while the TV stations were mostly useless.

By the way, our cable service was out too in 2004, so an antenna was needed to receive local TV broadcasts - something that more than 90% of homes in Gainesville do not have or use.