[opendtv] Re: UK DTV: 250,000 STBs a month

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:16:05 -0400

Terry Harvey wrote:

>If US broadcasters really cared about the future of their industry, they
>would have promoted digital OTA, pushed harder for better production
>quality and extended services etc.(the often upconverted MPEG-NTSC
>mutilation is dire),  To date the broadcasters have not done so and as a
>result US terrestrial DTV continues to languish.

I would like to suggest a perfectly good reason why broadcasters had not
done so previously.

Until the 5th-generation LG receiver (which is not yet available to the
public) was tried in my home, I had selective DTT reception.  In one
antenna location (not merely orientation), I could receive only Fox.
 So, if other broadcasters were to promote DTT to viewers like me, they
would potentially be driving audience to their competitors.

It is significant, I believe, that Sinclair began promoting DTT in
earnest after their testing of the 5th-generation LG receiver.

As for production, it takes time to justify a change of recently
purchased equipment, but, as technical supervisor of many broadcast
shows, I can assure you that more and more of my work is in HDTV.

TTFN,
Mark