[opendtv] Re: UK DTV: 250,000 STBs a month

  • From: dmenolan <dmenolan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Open DTV list <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 05:30:56 -0400

I don't really think HD on cell phones is a flyer because of

a)power consumption issues with HD

b)the display size is too small (maxc QCIF)

c) ISDB-T has a mobile data rate of 5Mb/s not good enough for 720P MPEG4!=

d) DVB-H has a max data rate of 15Mb/s, equivalent to 2 x 720P MPEG4!, wh=
ich is for a F(99, 99) service. You want to present to the most used form=
ats in mobile TV: 15Mb/s can provide between 30 and 80 services which is =
a very attractive service offer in an 8Mhz channel.

As to if the US had adopted DVB-T the US power levels would have led to t=
errific urban indoor coverage a la Berlin. That would have upset the bala=
nce of TV distribution in the US and the mobile outdoor coverage would ha=
ve been very good too.Of course dear old Doug will bang on about the 4dB =
gap in the far field (quite a bit less in SOA receivers) but that is easi=
ly fixed with a diversity receiver where you have 6-9dB gain. They are go=
ing to use them for remote translator feeds from an off-air signal to dea=
l with fading conditions especially over water paths.
And of course the wireless competition to the broadcasting industry in th=
e US will be using COFDM...

Kind Regards,
Dermot Nolan

-----

RE:     [opendtv] Re: UK DTV: 250,000 STBs a month

 =

I applaud the uptake of DTV receivers in the UK.

However, Bob, I do not think that the choice of modulation would have mad=
e =

any impact on terrestrial DTV uptake in the US. US broadcasters are =

indifferent to OTA broadcasting: they view it only as a means to secure =

cable carriage.

If US broadcasters really cared about the future of their industry, they =

would have promoted digital OTA, pushed harder for better production =

quality and extended services etc.(the often upconverted MPEG-NTSC =

mutilation is dire),  To date the broadcasters have not done so and as a =

result US terrestrial DTV continues to languish.

Terry Harvey

At 01:50 PM 10/21/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>dmenolan wrote:
>
> >Today's paper edition of the UK broadcast magazine reports that Freevi=
ew
> >STBs are now selling at the rate of 60,000+ a week with minimum STB pr=
ice=3D
> >now at UK =3DA325. Freeview is expected to overtake Sky DBS provider b=
y 12/=3D
> >05
> >
> >Kind Regards,
> >
> >Dermot Nolan
> >
>Was predicting a million would be sold in this fourth quarter. If the
>third quarter came in at 650,000 as I think it will this will approach 6=

>million receivers sold in just over two years. That would be 36 million
>in the US.
>
>Starting in 2001, with COFDM allowed,  the US would be over 50 million
>receivers sold by now. With ventures like USDTV offering subscription
>based services and free receivers that number would be far higher. We
>could be approaching the magic 85% already.
>
>Broadcasters would be in line trying to turn off their analog
>transmitters pre deadline. There would be no mandate just lines this
>Christmas for the most sought after COFDM receivers, DTV sets, portable,=

>HD and mobile. And next Christmas we could look forward to HDTV on our
>cell phones.
>
>http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=3D104&STORY=3D/www/sto=
ry/10-21-2004/0002290872&EDATE=3D