[opendtv] Re: UK DTV: 250,000 STBs a month

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:59:41 -0400

> > Now, or by Christmas anyway, would be the time
> for broadcasters to start promoting their DTT heavily.
>
> What proportion of the DTT receivers in U.S. homes do
> you expect to be 5th-generation LG by Christmas?

I expect a good portion to be of the same level of
capability as the 5th gen LG, by about then.

I don't see LG as being an isolated example, any more
than Linx was. My bet is that others out there, like
Motorola, Samsung, Philips, or Micronas, have the same
sort of tuner about ready for market. We only heard
about LG's tuner after the chip was designed, and this
is perhaps the norm in CE product introductions. You
wouldn't typically alert the competition that you will
blow them out of the water way ahead of time.

The unusual one was Linx, which first demoed an
unintegrated rack of equipment way back in 2002. The
nice thing about that event was that it showed
everyone that this could be done. Perhaps Linx did
this because they were looking for a buyer all along.
Whatever the reason, I doubt seriously that LG was the
only other manufacturer who stood up and took notice.