[opendtv] Re: News: Will LEDs Light Your Productions?

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:07:05 -0400

Jeroen,

How do you explain the use of fluorescent lighting in video production, as
represented by Kineflo and Videssence?  Both use tubes with phosphors that
emit very narrow bands of red, green, and blue light, but are tuned to the
wavelengths of the camera's diachroic splitters.  The camera "sees" the same
RGB as it would with any other light source.

Remember that light is additive.  A "yellow" object is really an object that
absorbs blue, and reflects red and green, making it appear to our eyes and
the camera as "yellow."  If you could not reproduce a yellow object with
only red, green, and blue lighting, then you could not reproduce it with a
camera that only "sees" red, green, and blue.

John Shutt